Bushfire Response Plan
The bushfire response plan ensures what action we need to take on days of increased fire danger or in the event of a potential or actual bushfire threat. The bushfire response plan also assists the Department’s Security and Emergency Management (SEM) unit in providing emergency services key information regarding the location of students and staff during a bushfire emergency.
It is important that families are familiar with our school’s response in preparation of a bushfire emergency. You can help us prepare for the fire danger season by:
- familiarising yourself with the following information relevant to our school, which is rated as a R2 site.
- talking to your child/ren about what will happen if a bushfire occurs when they are at school.
- making sure your emergency contact details are updated and made available to us before the start of the fire danger season.
- having your own bushfire survival plan in place for days of catastrophic fire danger or in the event of a bushfire threat.
Our school’s procedures for Fire Danger Days rated as Catastrophic and Extreme
‘Catastrophic’ Fire Danger Days – declared in advance
In the event of the Country Fire Service (CFS) declaring in advance (the day before), a ‘Catastrophic’ fire danger rating for the Mt Lofty Ranges, the school will receive confirmation from relevant department personnel (Education Director / Department’s Emergency Management team) regarding the closure of the School and Out of School Hours Care Service.
If and when this situation arises, no staff, students, volunteers or contractors will be able to attend Coromandel Valley Primary School or OSHC service.
Parents and carers will be informed via SMS and email – as listed on our school’s database.The following forms of communication will also be used, and can be accessed:
- Letters handed out to all students on the days if the alert is received prior to school dismissal
- Information posted on the school website www.coromandps.sa.edu.au / Schoolzine email, Seesaw notification and the Coromandel Valley PS Facebook Page
- Department for Education – Emergency Information Hotline on 1800 000 279
- CFS Website: http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/
- Radio: tune into ABC Radio 89.7
- Information provided by the evening television and radio news services
****Reminder this is for the Mt Lofty Ranges District****
Parents / carers should make provision for the care of their child/ren on days declared in advance, as per their family’s bushfire survival plan.